My makeup addiction began when I was about 12—and it's grown steadily since. I've become particularly insatiable in the last few years. It may have something to do with the fact that I now live within walking distance of a MAC PRO store, a Sephora, a Holt Renfrew...Moving to downtown Vancouver was a dangerous move, I tell you.
But I digress. Like any self-respecting makeup addict, I have a wish list. I've seen lots of these pop up lately—so I thought I'd share mine!
1. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light
I've always, always worn a matte face. It dates back to my awkward, adolescent, very acne-prone days where I wasn't so much concerned about the healthy glow. I just wanted the horrid red banes of my facial existence gone. I piled on MAC's Studio Fix foundation—and it was awesome for what I needed it to do. I was a loyal follower for years.
A few short years ago, I woke up to the fact that I wasn't an acne-ridden mess anymore, and hadn't been for quite some time. I moved on to a more natural-looking foundation routine—but I still couldn't let go of the matte finish.
One of the reasons is that the pores on my nose are a little larger than I would like. It makes me wary of the "dewy" look. Won't it just look greasy? Won't it magnify my pores?
Hourglass' new-ish Ambient Lighting Powders are intriguing. I started devouring every review I could when they first came out. Was it really possible that a powder could make me glow AND blur the appearance of my pores?
I really, really want to find out! I'll start easy, with Dim Light, one of the less sparkly shades. Wish me luck!
2. Le Volume de Chanel Mascara in Black
I feel like I've been on the hunt for the perfect black mascara since the 90s, when I bought my first tube (probably from the dollar store—*shudder*). At first, I just wanted something that didn't smear. Then flakes annoyed me. Then, as I got older, my lashes seemed to lose a little of their oomph, and I got picky: I wanted drama, drama, drama—and I wanted it to last all day, without smearing or flaking.
A tall order indeed.
Here's a summary of my search so far:
- Clinique High Impact looks awesome, but gives me raccoon eyes by the end of the day.
- Ditto with Lancome Hypnose.
- MAC Extended Play stays put, but doesn't do much for volume.
- Benefit They're Real! isn't bad, but it flakes a tad, and doesn't deliver the drama I want. It's also a pain to remove.
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes isn't bad. It's a lovely black colour, and it stays put, but I'm greedy. I want more drama.
- I loathe and abhor MAC Opulash. I really, truly hate it. It stays put all day and comes off easily, but it makes my lashes crispy-looking. I also can't seem to manage that ridiculously large brush—in spite of nearly two decades of practice with mascara. Every morning I put it on, then dab up the mess on my eyelid with a Q-tip. I'm bitter. Very bitter.
- Diorshow Overcurl is probably the best I've found so far. It wears well, it's a lovely, deep black, it holds a curl, and it does a decent job of lengthening and volumizing. But at $35 a tube, I don't want decent, darnit. I want a miracle.
I hope. Oh, I hope!
3. MAC 239 Shader Brush
I call myself an eyeshadow addict, and yet I don't own this brush. I almost feel ashamed. I own at least a dozen other eyeshadow brushes of varying sizes and shapes because I keep buying cheaper brushes, hoping to find my Holy Grail. But they all lack a certain something: Too big. Too small. Too soft. Too firm. Too wide.
The price tag on this lassie intimidates me. But I think it's time. I've read high and low that MAC's 239 is THE brush. This summer, I hope to find out for myself.
Have you tried any of these items? What are your thoughts? Do you have a wish list? If you do, share it in the comments! I'd love to hear about it.