I am forever in search for the PERFECT black mascara that will make it look like I'm wearing either false lashes or extensions. I want length, I want volume, I want separation, I want BLACK, and I want it to last all day without flaking or smudging. I also want it to wash off fairly easily, because I hate fussing with waterproof formulas. And I'm willing to pay for it.
Givenchy's new Noir Interdit ("Forbidden Black") Mascara delivers on all those counts. It took me awhile to warm up to it, but I am IMPRESSED. Givenchy Noir Interdit Mascara gives my beloved Le Volume de Chanel a run for its money. (And that's saying something.)
Here are a few things you should know:
- Givenchy Noir Interdit Mascara has the coolest wand/brush I've ever seen. First of all, there are bristles only on one side of the brush, so you don't need to rotate. Second, the bristles are plastic, but magically, they don't hurt like some other plastic bristles do. Third, and most importantly, the brush head moves. Have you ever tried that mascara trick where you bend the wand 90 degrees to make it easier to reach certain lashes? It's handy, but I've always been afraid to try it on a high-end mascara for fear the head would break right off. With Noir Interdit, there's a little joint that moves the head back and forth as you wish. Brilliant!
- This mascara requires some patience, because you NEED to build it. Like, a lot. When I first tried it, I wasn't wowed, because one coat delivers a very natural look. Meh. I was expecting something more like Le Volume de Chanel, which delivers the drama right away. But with a little patience, you can build up Noir Interdit to look quite dramatic, and it delivers better separation than Le Volume de Chanel. The wand design really lets you coat each lash without making them stick together.
- The stuff LASTS. It's tough to find a dramatic mascara that doesn't smudge or flake, but this stuff stays put all day—even if I wear it on my lower lash line. Win!
- The scent is INTENSE. It's my least favourite part of this mascara. You're struck with a very strong floral scent as soon you open it. It lingers as you apply, and sticks around for about half an hour afterward. If you like the scent, great! If you're like me and sensitive to scents, it's not the best. But this mascara is good enough that I'm (mostly) willing to overlook this feature.
Ready for a closer look?
Givenchy Noir Interdit Mascara. How about that luxe packaging, though? Mmmmm.
See the hinged brush head? Pretty cool.
Bare lashes for comparison purposes.
One coat of Givenchy Noir Interdit Mascara. This is about 10-12 swipes per eye. (Top lashes only.)
This is...several coats of Givenchy Noir Interdit Mascara. Remember how I said it requires some patience? I used a stopwatch, and this took a solid three minutes of swiping (mostly on the top—I wear just a brush of mascara on the bottom). This is the kind of look I like.
Here's the full look, for effect. Here are a few of the other products I'm wearing:
- Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Ink Liner in M-62 (I've been wearing this almost daily since I got it)*
- Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Color Paint in L-54*
- Make Up For Ever Artist Liquid Matte in 203*
- Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Blushglow (Nordstrom Exclusive—I LOVE this)
- Becca Ombre Rouge Eye Palette
Overall, I like this mascara. A lot. And for a luxury mascara, the price, C$38, isn't bad. (I willingly shell out more for my beloved Chanel—we shall see if this replaces it!) You can find it at Sephora.
What do you think? Have you tried this mascara, or any other luxe mascara? Was it worth the price tag? Let me know in the comments!
Disclosure: This product was provided by PR for my consideration.