I first heard about Illamasqua, a UK-based brand, from Cami of camiloveskiwi.com. Have you watched her videos? You should—she's lovely and British and funny, and she has wonderful taste in cosmetics. I first started salivating over this limited-edition collection, Speckled Nail Varnish, when she reviewed it, saying simply that she couldn't stop looking at her nails.
Now that I've tried it myself, I know the feeling.
These sold out of Sephora at Vancouver's Pacific Centre like lightning—and I can see why. What a wonderful idea for a spring collection—something beyond pastels. This varnish, quite literally, makes your nails look like speckled Easter eggs.
Here are a few photos:
- The packaging is classy and sophisticated, which is always a bonus.
- It's unique and beautiful—I love the warm pink colour. Like Cami, when it's on, I can't stop looking at my nails. I admit that I even Instagrammed a photo of my hand when I first put it on—I was taken with the fact that my nails looked like Easter eggs.
- It comes in a few other colours: Freckle (tan), Speckle (purple), Mottle (green), and Fragile (blue). All are lovely, though I'm partial to the pink because I find it's the most wearable—it looks good with my skin tone, and won't look odd against any of the bright colours I often wear.
- The lasting power is decent. Often, manicures chip within 24 hours on me—even with high-end polish like OPI, and even with top coat and base coat. This lasted perfectly from Thursday evening until I did a sink of dishes on Saturday afternoon.
- It doesn't streak—at all. One coat is sheer-ish, but still looks good.
- Two coats is fully opaque, which, for a pastel colour, is good!
- It dries quickly.
- The price—yowza! $18 CAD for a bottle of nail polish, no matter how great, hurts. Even $10 for a bottle of Essie makes me wince. This was bad. I'm surprised I went through with it!
- Washing that sink of dishes pulverized my manicure—destroyed it. Sure, I could have worn rubber gloves, but I feel like I shouldn't have had to—for $18 a bottle, I kind of expect a miracle.
- It's a pain to remove—the polish comes off easily with nail polish remover, but the glitter stays behind. I was still picking it off a day or two after I'd removed my manicure.
- As a UK-based brand, it's hard to find in Canada. They'd never heard of it at Holt Renfew. They stock it at Sephora (for now; it's limited edition), but it sells out quickly!
Here's what it looks like on.
One coat (see—it's sheer, but totally wearable):
Two coats (my preference):
Would I repurchase? Probably not. I love the way it applies and looks, but at $18 a bottle, it's a one-time-treat-only sort of purchase.
Rating: Because it doesn't last as long as I hoped and because of the price, four stars out of five.
Available: In Canada, the best place to get it at the moment is your local Sephora for $18—it's mostly sold out at Sephora.com.
Have you tried any of Illamasqua's Speckled Nail Varnishes? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below!
Disclosure: This product was purchased by Eyeshadow Addict.